Sunday, January 31, 2010

An Evening in Paris!

Last September, when I discovered that I would be going to France for some official work, I thanked my stars and immediately planned to visit Paris, even if it was for a day! Later on, when I got the actual fixture, I figured out that I could afford two days for Paris and I had to meticulously plan the maximum number of places that could be covered in those days. Ever since I had read and seen “Da Vinci Code” it was a dream to go to Louvre and check out the diva passiona – Mona Lisa. I couldn’t just imagine that would come true so soon.

Paris is about 750 km away from Montpellier, the small town near the Mediterranean Sea, i.e. the place for my official visit. I took a TGV from Montpellier Saint Roch railway station and it took about three and half hours to reach Paris Gare de Lyon station. It was early morning, about 9:00 AM. In India, I would expect that distance to be covered in about 12 – 14 hours. The train was moving at such a high speed that initially I felt as if my ears were ringing. The journey gave views of picturesque landscapes, swirling small rivulets and picture perfect European country side – the ones I had seen in movies or National Geographic till date. The farmhouse had a setting with green pastures in front of them where healthy cows were grazing nonchalantly.

Somebody had told me, that France was the first country in Europe to embrace the gays and accept their sexuality. I had not researched on that, but what I saw on the train and immediately after reaching Paris was not a scene I see every day, even when I am in USA, the place that is seen as the most liberal in terms of alternate sexuality! (I tell you – that’s a myth about USA, I have felt that quite well and I wish I could think that out loud!). Inside the train, there were two guys, cozily having animated conversations in French that I couldn’t figure out. They seemed like good friends, and as I would expect, one of them had his laptop on and they were watching something. I repeatedly saw them holding each other’s hands. Even that would not say anything, and might look quite casual. I couldn’t, but help staring askance at them every now and then, just to figure out if they were couples. In between, both had left their stuff, laptop open and went outside of the sitting area. I could expect that they’d gone out for smoking, but then something gave me an uncanny suggestion that there was something. That was because; in Europe you are not even supposed to smoke in the toilets. To answer all my speculations, when I got down at the station, the two guys sealed their lips in a kiss for about a minute, hugged each other warmly and, I would believe they had to, depart in opposite directions.

Welcome to Paris!”, I said to myself and was quite impressed at the way I was given a hint that people don’t even bother about your sexuality here!

I went to the welcome center.

Bonjour Monsieur! Comment puis-je vous aider?” A sweet lady asked.

Bonjour Mademoiselle! I speak just English; can you please help me plan my Paris visit?” I asked for guidance.

The lady helped me with a plan to cover the places on my list in a span of two days. She gave me a map and a welcome booklet – Paris Visite. Interestingly, when I browsed through that, a section came up on gays! The heading of that subsection was: A city with open and tolerant attitude. It had the following information (as-is cited from Paris Info):

Paris is a city with an open and tolerant attitude, where you can be your own person and there’s something for everyone. The capital boasts a myriad of gay or “gay-friendly” addresses, largely to be found in the first “arrondissements” on the Right Bank, around Châtelet and Hôtel de Ville, and at the heart of the Marais district (4th “arrondissement”). You’ll find dozens of bars and restaurants here flying the “rainbow flag” and a great choice of stylish boutiques for clothes or home decor, travel agents, etc...

Check out what’s on offer on the Paris gay scene: guides, associations, services, clubbing, events... in all the colours of the rainbow.


A plan to find out more on gay life in Paris was not in my scheme of things, and so I didn’t try to figure out a way how I could fit that in.

After spending about four hours at Museé du Louvre, seeing the diva passiona Monalisa, ( I pinched twice to figure out if I was standing in front of her in reality!), other famous paintings like “Madonna of the rocks”, the “Raft of Medusa”, and sculptures and various other relics, I decided to visit the Eiffel Tower (Tour Eiffel in French).

Regarded as a very romantic spot, (friends suggested : “Take along your sweetheart to Eiffel” – which, unfortunately, I didn’t have at that point of time) Eiffel tower reminded me of a scene from the movie Mera Pehla Pehla Pyar where Ruslaan proposes his girl friend at dusk in front of the tower. How I craved, I had someone with me! I was dampened by the mere site of the tower, and the loneliness gripped me even more when I found guys holding hands and kissing each other near the green patches adjacent to the tower. Luckily, I made friends with three more Indian guys, and the tour of Eiffel to the top, the scintillating view of Paris by the night and the chilly wind was not lonely anymore. There were Indian hawkers, selling Eiffel tower miniatures. They were cheap and I could also bargain, so, I bought two of them. The Eiffel tower is made to glow every hour with lots of blinking lights. It presents a grand spectacle. There is also a light and sound show that happens around 8:00 pm.

I decided to walk from Eiffel to Arc de Triomphe – the victory arc build by Emperor Nepolean in 1806. I had to cross the Siene river and walk by its sides and follow a trail to reach the place. This was as per instructions from one Punjabi hawker. He was quite helpful in making me learn a few phrases in French like “Où est-Champs Elysées?” (meaning – where is Champs Elysées?). He told me that the Arc was near that place, so if I went there I could see it. He suggested me to take a metro, but I preferred walking as I wanted to see the Eiffel Tower across Seine.

As I had a brief assumption about the gay scenario in Paris by that time, I didn’t find it awkward to see guys making out along the pavement besides Seine, while I was walking on it. I saw few guys sitting together and hugging each other, some even shedding tears and sharing their grief. Isn’t that what every gay wants? To have a companion to share your life, to have acceptance in the society like a straight couple, to see that homosex

uality is no more a taboo? For a moment, I fell in love with the city, and yet again remembered that I didn’t have that special somebody in my life!


Arc de Triomphe looked gorgeous with the lights. I had seen it atop Eiffel and then I was very close to it. It had nude French youth against bearded German warriors. I clicked couple of pictures and then headed towards my French lady’s house. Oh yes! I forgot to tell you, I had arranged to stay in a French lady’s house through my network of friends. Her

name is Alice and she stayed near St. Ambroise metro station and she gave me an algorithm to follow in order to decipher her house! I had to dial two codes on the num-pad in order to unbolt the doors of her house. Alice looked like Shakira! Seriously, she was a very beautiful young lady and we discussed our cultures and she could associate with my thoughts quite seamlessly.

The next morning I followed my plan and trailed along quite well. I managed to find an Indian guy and convinced him to come along with me so that we could click each other’s pictures instead of asking strangers to do so, and explaining everyone how to handle the camera! We visited Cathédrale Notre Dame de Paris, Pantheon and Nepoleaon’s Tomb at Les Invalides. Then we followed a broad roadway that culminated into Champs Elysées (pronounced shawmps- elyzees). Once again, I could see the Victory arc at that place. Champs Elysées is a very haute avenue in Paris with its collection of shops, cinema halls, restaurants and posh hotels. It is one of the most costly strips on earth with sky-soaring rents as high as € 1.1 Million.


Later, we planned to go to Moulin Rouge, as I had heard about that cabaret a lot and just wanted to see that once.

It is near a metro station named Pigalle on Boulevard de Clichy. There was a long queue of folks, trying to get into the first show of the day, starting at 6:00 pm that cost €13. I had to board a train for Montpellier at about 7:30 pm and so didn’t have the chance to peek in. Not that I was very much interested to see the partially nude girls performing inside. The atmosphere outside looked quite electrifying; I could scent a bit of the environment that could be inside.
I hurried back to Paris Gare de Lyon station to board the TGV to Montpellier. I decided to collect few Eiffel key rings from a near-by memento shop. The shop had a section for magazines and to my pleasant surprise there was a complete rack dedicated to Gay magazines! I looked at my surroundings discreetly and picked up one magazine to browse. I didn’t find curious eyes looking at me. I was at peace, and I flipped through the pages and became wide-mouthed and eyed seeing the bare-bone hot and sexy guys inside. (I was seeing a gay magazine for the first time!).

I might want to go back to Paris someday, and spend some time visiting the different places I missed out. Perhaps the city is the place to be, especially when it has accepted the concept of gays, something that is still unacceptable, and gays considered obnoxious in other parts of the world.
----- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Written for Pink Pages

45 comments:

stupefy said...

as usual, the flow is very smooth.. You make ppl more jealous for being the one to enjoy visit to paris.. ;)
thanks for sharing this.. will bug you if i get a chance to visit this aweosme city :D

Varun said...

Big Bhai,

I wanted to be the first one to comment on it. I am soooooooooooo happy that finally you came out of your writer's block.

If I ever go to Paris, this post of yours will help me live the city through you.

Don't have to express how much I love you.

MUAAAAAH

Andrew said...

hey dude i just came back from Paris (this week).... ur description was awesome..... its an awesome place to be in and i completely agree with the gay embrasement thing in France, even i have seen Gays & Lesbians cuddling over each other on Metro's & Euro Rail out thr.
Well the most amazzing part of my trip was a Visit to Eiffle Tower -> Place De La Concorde -> Champs De Ellysses -> Arc De Triomphe ->The cruise ride out side the Tower on the river -> Notherdam Cathedra ->Galerie de Lafeyette -> Opera House and Finally the icing on the Cake was LOUVRE Musee, but have to agree Cherry was the Eiffel Tower.

You should have gone inside Louis Vuitton show room just for a look around it was gr8 too, i was just a visitor out there.

Imissed out on Moulin Roge theatre.... but may be next time around.

Buddy please continue your story would love to read your story ahead...

Sudershan said...

lets discuss about your story... i would rather say journey

"healthy cows were grazing nonchalantly"...i like this line a lot.....its so good..

you are not allow too smoke in toilets but can have sex in it...that's europe...pretty confusing pretty amazing,isn't it?

by the way i like your story....its like watching "travel and living"........




don't be sad everybody has someone special....you just have too Waite for it...and have a faith...
one day you will find what you are looking for....best off luck................love you

Raja Rayan said...

its ana nice story....i have already read it ......its good

Siddhansh said...

It was amazing. Paris SHOULD be seen like this.

ishan said...

Great that you have started writing. It has a nice docu fiction style...waiting for elaboration.

Kunal said...

hey i just read ur last post in ur blog..its awsum...keep it up. hope i ll find sm tym daily 2 read all ur posts..

gaylaxy said...

suthirtho darling u need to learn french at once plan ur next vist soon...


ur vivid description of paris and france can facilitate the french govt to confer on you a spl award of tourism...

why dont you write the contents of this text to the french embassy in a letter appreciating france for all its enduring charm

i used to write to german embassy and they used to reply in a very very sply way

Mohan Bhargava said...

was waiting for this to come since d day u mentioned dat u r wrking on it....
frankly i wud say, i expected smthing more...but as it seems to be an honest description of an evening, so its justified too...may be i have read a lot of "masala" filled stories off late, so every time there was a mention of "i made frends wid an Indian guy", i expected smthing cuming...lolz
but..
u have a great talent in describing n even in comparing things, to kind of make them come live in front of the readers..

Adithya said...

Well, well well...Look who's back? :p Its Mohan with his travel memoirs!!!
Earlier he had shown us some snaps and now he has mesmerized with his travel memoirs..Bravo!!!
But no "gay content"..Hmmmm...
French is always good- French fries, French men or French kiss :p
I will leave comment on true stories community too

partho said...

The whole description was so beautifully conceptualized and executed that , as i was going through it , i could well visualise that i am travelling in TGV and reaching Paris and walking down the bank of Seine while watching Eifel tower from at a distance.

You are great in what ever you do.

partho said...

The whole description was so beautifully conceptualized and executed that , as i was going through it , i could well visualise that i am travelling in TGV and reaching Paris and walking down the bank of Seine while watching Eifel tower from at a distance.

You are great in what ever you do.

varun said...

Tres bien.............. C'est interessant............. Je veux voler a paris immediatement.........

karan sood said...

Tres Bein!!
Exploring Paris in your own way!
Good job boss .. Your journey has been very well established through your words

sweets said...

Dear Sutirtho,

When I was reading your forum, I felt like I was in Paris. I even felt, Whatever you were trying to explain was right too.
You have an amazing power of writing. Keep it up my Friend...

Love,
Sweets

simply said...

ummm, honestly, had long deep "sighs" while reading this stuff .... desperately wanted to be in the place of sutirtho ..... aww loved the train and Eiffel tower thingy ....

i so wanna see the gay magazines as well !!:p

for a moment, i also fell in love with the city ... thats cuz of the lovely narration:)


glad to see u writing again ... i always get amazed with the description that u portray, the vocab, the interest-catching narration and blah blah .... !!!

do i need to tell again that ur a writer of writers here?! ..... ur name deserves to be taken with the names of "sidney sheldon, daniel steel, etc" ;) Atleast i do take ... and ppl say, whos sutirtho? i say, if u havent read him, u havent read anything worth yet!!;););)

muah ... continue !!

Uday said...

sutirtho bhau, you are great like tagore. you are writing so beautifully.i reading your story and want to go paris. i have ltc facility. i will use that and go. you are telling us kindly how to be cheap in paris. cheap gift and cheap way to be in paris. for us people, that is big problem. all forign places costly and not cheap. you are showing all cheap things in paris. muaaah
you are mahaan like our rajsaheb sarkar and balasahed sarkar.mahaan like great jyoti basu saheb.brave like mamtadidi.
when you come mumbai, i am showing you mumbai cheaply. you live in my house and we go to all places- juhu chaupatty and kamla nehru park. i take you to bandra and show salman khan and shah rukh khan. shah rukh is supporting pakistanis and now i not liking him much.on sunday i go to do dharna outside his house.
you are greatest writer in the world sutirtho bhau and you please write and write. i wait for your greatness and niceness everyday.
sutirtho bhau ki jai.rajsaheb ki jai. jai maharashtra.

I and Me said...

hou là ! aucuns mots pour décrire!!!


awesome! such a brilliant insightful piece! and informative as hell!!

only u hv the caliber to make it all in one!!

Jai said...

I loved the glimpse of Paris through ur eyes dear wonderful :)

Inaayat said...

Padunga aur phir comment karunga...
vaise kab se wait kar rahe the tumhare writing piece ka :):)
Ab itminaan se padenge .. aur enjoy karenge :P

simply said...

an honored to make u alive:p

err, dun like being formal:D ...... u ke virtual wife ka yeh farz tha g :p :p

and sutirtho never dies ... aamir khan, does a movie once a year ... he needs to think, get involve and tactically plan ... yeh baray logo ke baatain hain ... same is the case with sutirtho .!!;)


and lolxxx .. i so very hope k ur bf is reading this ... ahaha, jokin !!

muahhhhhhhhhhhhh !!

gaylaxy said...

..........hmmmm........whoes the lucky boifrnd of sutirtho........lol is he on orkut too

ha ha ha ha

if privacy and secrecy is to be maintained then let it remain so..........ha ha ha ha

vineeth said...

i actually loved the way you ve narrated the story, the style of it...great to be a place where we can be so bloody open bout our sexuality..kudos to paris...

chennai vengai said...

dada, m sure u will love settling down in paris for a lifetime...

stung twice said...

In December, 2009 I went to Paris wid my frns.......it was really thrilling for me too to stand in front of Mona Lisa and to be on the top of the Eiffel tower....

sweetu said...

:(
haa bhaiya akele ghoom lo .,mujhe bhi le jaana tha saath.... :(....u no we learn wat u saw....... yes we have a subject on renaissance.....and by the way its virgin on the rocks...... so u must hv taken me away ;)....anyywyz love u :)

gaylaxy said...

suthirtho tho aisey muskuraa raha hai jaisey ki kisi ney, nayi navi dhulhan sey uska pati kaa naam poocha liya hoo..........ha ha ha ha ha


yeh sab pyaar mein deewane ho janey ki laachshn hai


hai suthirtho abi kuwara nahi raha ha ha ha ha

inaayat said...

Pad Liya..
too good.. looks like main France ho ke aa gaya, in post me :)
its a promise to myself.. i will see France atleast once in my lifetime !!!!

U ve shown a dream picture .. which is possible to see in reality.. thnx :)

Colin said...

An Evening in Paris! rt?
Louvre Museum, Original master piece Monalisa!!!!! Lucky you Suthirtho!!!!! I am jealous

vikash sharma said...

well dadabhai as i call u, ur post is gr8 as usual u have mesmerized me with ur awesome wordings and style........... i really liked it

Hugh said...

simply gr8
Simply wonderfu. U r a very good wirter. keep it up. n for sure i want to visit paris but aone sometimes...not family so i cn enjoy the real paris..
u just made whole paris and ur view roll like a movie.

keep it up frnd

jai said...

Good to read it here.... as I already said this one of the best travel accounts I've ever come across... just too good!

Ollivian said...

i wish i would be getting there some day
well by the way france is the country i love the most
its realy far beter in america in many concerns coz its the one who brings revoltion with evolution of minds
and they accept things the way they are they dont change them to what they wanna c

I and Me said...

Dada, this is a real captivating piece.... I hate to talk whn d jobless idiacs are arnd....bt seriously, this is too good....i read it again n again...

Akshat said...

Loved it.

I must say there is no harm being down to earth and accepting one as what he or she actually is. Flying up in air makes no sense and your description is just so much fun. Love you for that.

there are as many minds as are comments, your intellegence should suggest you the genuine ones.

Always remain ever innovative and ever creative like this.

love
Akshat

Invisible said...

France.... Paris... A dream....

These three words are always inter-related for a person like me.... I could never imagine in the wildest of my dreams that I would be going to France one day and eventually to Paris... to The Eiffel... It's really a dream for me... See how they co-relates...

From what sutirtho sir wrote in this lovely memoir... I was intricated and really wished that someday I would also be able to visit france and eventually Paris.... But it really seems impossible...

Thanks to you Sutirtho sir and at the same time very bad sutirtho sir....

I really had a good ride of paris via you... but now I really wanna go and see through my own eyes... which seems impossible...

Chalo koi nai... Let's hope that someday I will get to visit Paris....

But Sutirtho sir... U deserve a muah for writing it in an extremely intoxicating manner... Descriptions are always boring... but not when told in an intoxicating style... kudos to you sir....

God bless...

muffi said...

..!!
well..

the write up was beautiful on two parameters....
*as if m sum expert*!

anyways.!!

the way it was written...beautiful..concise..use of french words and french phrases made it appealing, and interesting!
so totally not the usual one!
description of stuffs..created a beautiful imagery!


and then
the content it deals with..!!
the acceptance of homosexuality, and beauty of love...!
i liked it so much!

and the beseeching way you described it da!!
was awesome!

i know m late..bt...\m/

Memories - A True Story said...

Bonjour Monsieur! Comment allez vous?

Indeed, a pleasant read.. I didn't want it to end. Very selfish of me :-)

Au revoir.
à bientôt!
bises!

Vamsi said...

Hii Mohan Daa, I just read ur posts today. I was travelling for quiet a while in India and cldn't check orkut. I just missed ur postings and they are warm & beautiful as always. I still regret that I cldn't make it during ur visit to France, but after reading the postings felt like I hv been through the city.

Memories - A True Story said...

Would like to point out..

the Champs-Elysées is pronounced as "shamp-se-leesay" the 's' of the Champs and 'E' of Elysées is pronounced as one sound.. its called a liaison.. something to do with french grammar..

Prophet said...

I have really loved your work.
Really I see you as a famous gay celebrity.
Y a celeb?Your every work is so much appreciated. I wonder how can a person give so much quantity and a consistent quality work? Infact when i read an article and I see your comment there, then I am assured that the article must be good and I should read it.

But I have a complaint against all you hardcore literature divas. When will a gay indian novel come in india? When will our literature represent India on an international level? I am eager to see a gay novel being sold in book stores. A totally gay novel is not possible but then atleast a novel with some prime gay twist so that even str8 ppl can buy it and when a gay person goes to a shop he wont feel that while buying the book ppl will come to know his/her secret.

Keep the gud work going......

Anonymous said...

glad to read a story from u after a long gap, as usual ur way of writing made me to have a trip in paris, hmmmm, so nice of u, lots of love n kisses

srinivasbh said...

really u made us wait for a long time to read ur story, alas u gave us a nice paris tour,u really made me to feel the situations and scenes, nice work, keep going on, with lots of love

Niraj said...

hiiiii suthirtho
really a nice work and exceelent videos too...
keep it up
after loong time reading something good from you
now be ready to publish book of your stories.
we can search publisher in paris!
what say?